Wednesday, May 11, 2016

MORE YESTERDAYS

MONDAY, MAY 9, 2016

MORE YESTERDAYS


 My poor kids ...they were raised by an overly-protective mother                                                           


who worried endlessly about things  that could happen to them.         

I'd been raised that way,because of being born with a bone 

condition, hereditary. My parents had been told to watch me 

carefully, to see that I didn't run or participate in any kind of


activity that might get me injured. Specifically, falling on my

head, because the fontanelles were still soft , prone to injury.

The 'soft spots' as most folks call them did not close at the age of 2 

years, like most kids' fontanelles do.                                                        

There was always the possibility of an injury, so, even in middle or 

junior high school, as it used to be called, I was pulled out of gym 

class, because the docs at that time, thought it to be too risky .

So, I went through childhood like that, too scared to do much

of any of the things that 'normal' kids do.

And when I married and had children, it was 'normal' for me to

be cautious with them, especially since my first baby was born

with this congenital condition, or disease. 

As the other two babies came, without this bone condition, I

was so used to watching my little girl, Linda, carefully, that

I also treated little Dwight and the last baby, Candy, with the 

same  over-vigilance that I was so familiar with, having lived with 

it all my own life.

And so it was, that i didn't let them do many of the childhood 

activities that their friends did, for fear they might get hurt

or killed .

Little did I know that they did most of them, anyway !!  And,

as I related earlier, they didn't let us know until very deep into their 

adulthood !

Some of what they did was so daring, like climbing a tree to pick

 the apricots . The danger they faced was that the tree limb they 

climbed on hung over a wash which was cement ! if they'd fallen,

it could have cost them their lives !

This tree was in the back yard of some lady's house, and she saw

them, and when they got down ( guess she yelled at them to do so ),

she must have followed them home, as she knocked on our door

and told me what they had done.   it wasn't the apricots that they'd

taken, it was the very real danger of them getting killed that

upset the woman ! She had been very afraid for them !

Well, I'm not sure, but think they denied doing it, and i believed

them, not realizing they were lying. I honestly believed our

lids never lied to us !

That may be because I lied to my mother just once in my childhood,

and never forgot the hurt look in her eyes as she knew I was lying,

and that look stayed with me for the rest of my life, so to this day

I find it very difficult to lie .

So, with my three kids, I really thought that they didn't lie, 

especially since my husband, their step-father, was so harsh with

them, that their behavior at home, or when we went anywhere, was 

exemplary, for fear of his judgement and punishment .

My kids were, as I always said, 'little angels', as I thought of them, 

because they were never really naughty ar home.

Perhaps that is why, when they were out playing with the neighbor 

kids, they did some of the risky things that most kids do when

they're little, wanting to fit in, maybe, or just because they wanted

to do these things.

Anyway, as i have already said, we were unaware, and thankful

later on, when they started telling us of all their adventurous

exploits !!

Ok, that's enough for today.   Hope you're enjoying my tales

of my kids' daring adventures !

So, it seems their childhood was more 'normal' than it would have

been, if they's listened to my advice and warnings , and, for that,

I'm happy !






This has been  a bit long-winded, but I wanted to explain my 
kids' behavior, and my part in it. I'm more than happy that they took matters into their own hands and had a pretty good childhood, 
in spite of me, and my many restrictions.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment